Sunday, January 22, 2012

Character and Integrity - Don't just talk about it, Be about it!

Leadership Lesson #2


II Corinthians 5:11 (The Amplified Bible)
11 Therefore, being conscious of fearing the Lord with respect and reverence, we seek to win people over [to persuade them]. But what sort of persons we are is plainly recognized and thoroughly understood by God, and I hope that it is plainly recognized and thoroughly understood also by your consciences (your inborn discernment).

Titus 2: 7-8 (The Amplified Bible)
7 And show your own self in all respects to be a pattern and a model of good deeds and works, teaching what is unadulterated, showing gravity [having the strictest regard for truth and purity of motive], with dignity and seriousness.

8 And let your instruction be sound and fit and wise and wholesome, vigorous and [b]irrefutable and above censure, so that the opponent may be put to shame, finding nothing discrediting or evil to say about us.

Character and Integrity.  My pastor has taught my church family for years;  "Your gifts can take you somewhere that your Character and Integrity cannot keep you."  We spend so much time sharpening our gifts and our skills, and we neglect Character Development.  Are we people of our word?  Do we live the lives that we speak about?   Are we Authentic people?

Character is the sum total of the features and traits that form the individual nature of a person.  It is who you are, when no one else is looking.  I believe that it was the process of people holding me accountable, that helped me to build character.  At first, it was others holding me accountable.  Then, I learned I had to be accountable to God.  Finally, I developed the habit of holding myself accountable.  I never wanted to be a public success and a private failure.  Integrity relates to moral principles and honesty; honesty with others, and with ourselves. Integrity answers the question of “what we will, and what we won’t do” the lines that we won’t cross. These two go hand in hand and become the basis of the respect that others have for you, and that you have for yourself.

Copyright 2011 - Victoria L. Burse

Purchase a copy of my new book Destination Destiny at victoriaburse.com
Connect with me on...
Visit my website www.victoriaburse.com 
Follow my blog @ www.queensofthekingdom.org

No comments:

Post a Comment